Sunday, November 09, 2008

ohmy.
as i look at my count down timer slowly but quickly
inching second by second towards the 11th of november,
i cant help but feel happy.

1 day, 40minutes, 24seconds.

Indeed, army had been a very long and tiring one for me.
But it certainly was an opportunity for me to learn several things.
For one, it defintely was a chance for me to pick up some leadership skills,
to choose and dictate the direction and tempo for my team.

We were empowered the heavy responsibility of taking care for the welfare of others,
as well as the safety of my buddy.
another person's life was now placed under our care.

Army showed me how vulnerable was life.
It gave me the opportunity to handle emergencies,
witness suicide attempts,
and taught me how to face it bravely.

It taught me perseverance, and endurance.
It taught me that rank matters, but only to a certain extent.
It taught me the importance of time and being on time.
It taught me that people often scold,
not because they want to,
but because they have to.
and it is often those that keep quiet,
that are the worse of the lot.

It showed me the ugly side of people, who live on a mindset that
1) "if it doesn't benefit me, whatfor do it."
2) "the whole world owes me a living, but i better not show it to others that i'm the real bad guy"
3) "there's always someone else who would do it".
4) "he's the boss, whatever he say counts. who cares if i know it's not the best way to do things" attitude.
But then, there was also the good side.
people who are willing to sacrifice.
people who are willing to voice out their opinion.
people who do not choose to stay in the background, but stand out.

it gave me the opportunity to meet hundreds of other people.
There in BMT, there were a whole bunch of young recruits waiting to be enlisted.
It was there, that i met 46 of them.
Then in SISPEC, there were a few officerswannabe and whatsnot.
i met 36 of them.
Then in RCC, the suay people gathered together for a course.
i met 100 of them.
And finally in 3SIR.
Signals, there were about 12 i know.
ATGM, there were about 9 i know.
Pioneer, there was like about 5 i know.
Scout platoon, there were 73.

the total number of people the Army let me meet, was close to 300 people.
pretty amazing.
So much so that, when u walk on the streets.. its really not surprising to see one or two streaming in. or maybe three. four or five.

But most importantly,
it gave me many friends,
friends that i can say fought along with me.
friends that i won't want to forget.

The one year ten months is finally over,
but the journey had only just begun.
(trust me, reservist sounds worse.)

No comments: